Health security & Insurances

French Social Security System

All international students coming to INSA Lyon have to suscribe an accident and health insurance valid upon arrival in France. INSA Lyon Registrar’s Office is at their diposal to help them with procedures.

  • European Union Citizens

Students  must  have  a  valid  European  Health  Insurance  Card  (EHIC)  for  the  duration  of  their  stay  in  France.  If  students  do  not  have  a  valid  EHIC,  they  will  be  required  to  subs-cribe  to  French  Social  Security  beginning  in  September (start of the academic year).

  • Non-European Union Citizens

Students  arriving  before  September  must  take  out  private  insurance  (Pack  SMERRA,  LMDE,  etc.) at their own expense. This insurance must cover the period from their arrival in France until September.

From then on, they will have to subscribe to the French Social Security via - Canadian students (Québec) in possession of the form SE 401 Q106 at registration are exempted.

Mandatory information and documents are requested : see the list.

Affiliation to the French Social Security System is compulsory and free.

  • International students registered in 2019-2020 pursuing their studies at INSA Lyon

Students stay affiliated to their student insurance until end of 2019-2020 academic year. They will automatically be forwarded to the general social security system in September 2020. 

The annual contribution to the Social Security (€217 in 2017) has been deleted.


Contribution to the CROUS (CVEC)

A contribution to the CROUS (Régional Center for schools and universities services) is required and has to be paid online on

For permanent students only.This  requirement  does  not  apply  to  exchange  students.  Find  out  more  about  the  CVEC  and    the students concerned at:>

Other mandatory insurances

  • Summer School

Students involved in the summer school must contract at their own expense a private insurance (pack SMERRA, LMDE, etc.) covering the period from their arrival in France until August 31st.

  • Housing

Students living on INSA Lyon campus in a residence or in town (private landlord) have to subscribe to :

  • rental liability insurance 
  • civil liability insurance

Both of these insurances can be subscribed either separately or as part of a package (SMERRA, LMDE, banks, etc.)