Discover INSA Lyon
INSA Lyon is a leading engineering school with strong humanist values that have formed the basis of its business model for more than 60 years.
Created in 1957 by philosopher Gaston Berger and Rector Jean Capelle, INSA Lyon is the oldest and largest of the six schools making up the INSA Group.
INSA engineers lead careers built around a logic of high adaptability, a pioneering approach to science and technology, and a strong sense of social responsibility.
This hallmark of the INSA Lyon model is a living tribute to its two founders. It is to them that we owe the humanist commitment of the INSA schools, and their openness to different origins, cultures and social backgrounds.
While teaching in the sciences obviously constitutes the core of the five-year engineering programmes, the 'Humanities' have also played a central role since the creation of INSA Lyon in training engineers who are open to the world.
In addition to the languages, philosophy and culture, our engineering students benefit from specific training in management and issues inherent to the corporate world.
These teachings include foundations of ethical reflection, implementing innovative and active pedagogies that aim to provide the students with opportunities to learn about citizenship, gain autonomy, and develop a sense of responsibility, while encouraging creativity and innovation.
- Top quality training in engineering (5-year programme after Bac/A-levels) in 9 specialisations
- 9 post Master's programmes accredited by the “Conférence des Grandes Ecoles”
- 2 fields (aimed at Research) of the Lyon Master’s programme for Sciences
- 8 doctoral schools
Research and Innovation
INSA Lyon boasts 23 research laboratories, more than 600 researchers and teacher-researchers, 650 PhD students, and over 1,000 industrial contracts with the socio-economic world.
This represents a scientific and technological capital that accounts for much of the international prestige of the school.
A few figures about INSA Lyon
- More than 1,400 graduates each year
- A total of 5,400 students (including 4,500 engineering students)
- International mobility for 78 % of engineering students
- 30 % of foreign students
- 626 Library, Engineers, Administrative, Technical, Workers in Service and Health)
- 684 teachers, teacher-researchers and researchers
- 650 doctoral students
- 2 campuses : LyonTech-La Doua and Oyonnax
- LyonTech-La Doua : 134,000 m2 total surface area - 11 residences (3,500 beds) - 3 restaurant centres (1,000,000 meals per year) - 130 student clubs and associations
- Oyonnax : at the heart of the Plastics Vallée - 3 residences - 1 catering centre